Monday, June 16, 2008

Three Days to Never

Games 70 through 72 - Red Sox

Reds 3, Red Sox 1
Red Sox 6, Reds 4 (10)
Red Sox 9, Reds 0
Record: 44-28

Three times in the last 10 days, the Sox have lost the opening game of a series to an inferior opponent. And three times they've come back to take the final 2 games of the series. I'm quite sure this has some meaning, but I'll be damned if I can divine it.

This weekend's run-back of the 1975 World Series will pass quickly into the ephemera, at least in my mind. Saturday's game was televised nationally, but it was up against one of the great afternoons in U.S. Open history, and it featured a Papelbon hiccup that annoyed me to the point where I changed the channel. On a much more pleasant note, it also sparked the following text exchange between Teejay and me:

Teejay: Fuck you papelbon
Me (a half inning later): Coco says, 'eat a dick, teejay'
Teejay: Indeed

If nothing else, Teejay's a pragmatic partisan.

After feasting (sort of) on the Mariners, Orioles, and Reds, the road gets a fair sight more challenging for the Sox, with games against the Phillies, Cardinals, and Diamondbacks over the next 10 days. I'll try to pay better attention.

No comments: