Thursday, June 26, 2008

Little Big Man

Game 81 – Red Sox

Red Sox 5, Diamondbacks 0
Record: 49-32


Since I already assigned Clay Buchholz the ‘Little Girl with a Curl’ moniker, we’ll need a different analogical nickname for Tim Wakefield, who was magnificent last night. While I was out broadening my horizons, Wake tossed 7 innings of 2-hit ball at the Snakes. Meanwhile Brandon Moss and Kevin Cash (!) combined to drive in 5 runs on 1 hit (Cash’s first homer of the season – double !) to give the Sox more than enough offense.

And while we’re on the topic of cartoon characters and unlikely heroes (poetic license), let’s take a moment to marvel at Dustin Pedroia’s recent prowess. Last year, the Nation was up in arms as the Yosemite Sam act-alike started the season miserably on his way to the AL Rookie of the Year trophy. In 2008, the grumblings reached their apex after the kid’s 1-for-4 against the Reds on June 13 left his season line at .260/.311/.365, his .677 OPS hovering dangerously near Lugo territory. His verbal response: “When I get hot, I get really fucking hot.” His on-field response in the 11 games since: 22-for-48, 5 2B, 3 HR, good for a .458/.480/.771. So, okay, we get it.

The Sox have an off day today, so I’ll save my pithy first half analysis for later. Suffice it to say that I’ll gladly sign for a duplication of the 81-game record and take my chances.

No comments: