Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Behind the Wall of Sleep

Game 26 - Red Sox

Red Sox 6, Yankees 4
Record: 16-10

I see you, Papi. I see you.

Or, more pertinently, I read about you. Rain in New York combined with an abundance of compelling sports action last night to ensure that I saw only the slightest bits and pieces of the Sox' first ever game in the new Yankee Stadium. For the most part, I greatly enjoyed what I saw.

I managed the remote effectively enough to get from the Caps/Pens game (and what a glorious display of star power that game brought, with matching hat tricks supplied by the incandescent Alex Ovechkin and the pouty Sidney Crosby) to the Sox/Yanks tilt often enough to see the Sox' first 4 runs. Coming as the did by way on single tallies in each of the first 4 innings, I count this a fairly impressive use of infrared technology. Papi's pair of doubles contributed significantly to the first and third of the Sox' runs, and had me nodding along with the big fella.

Sleep overtook me somewhere in the middle innings, though I did wake up just in time to hear/see Johnny Damon and Mark Teixeira hit back-to-back homers to take a big chunk out of the Sox' lead. Fortunately for my heartrate, I did not wake up just in time to catch Jonathan Papelbon's high-wire act(s) in the 8th and 9th innings. In every rain cloud, a shiny silver lining.

No Paps tonight, then, so it'll be up to Ebby Calvin to put his particular train back on track. Don't make me go all Papi on you, Josh. I'll do it. Don't think I won't.

No comments: