Thursday, May 08, 2008

Drop City

Game 36 - Red Sox

Tigers 10, Red Sox 9
Record 22-14

Had I actually watched last night's game, I suspect I would be reporting a reaction similar to Red's today. Since I only was able to follow it on my phone, my response is a bit more muted, though the disdain for Julio Lugo probably as palpable.

The Sox twice overcame 4-run deficits against the Kitties, taking a 9-8 lead into the bottom of the 9th courtesy of Dustin Pedroia single through the infield (and if you thought Derek Jeter's range was limited, holy hell do I have an Edgar Renteria to sell you). With Jonathan Papelbon on the mound, all seemed well.

And all should have been well, even after rookie Matt Joyce led off with a meek infield single. Renteria followed Joyce with an equally limp grounder to short, and Lugo turned it into a Benny Hill routine, sans the redeeming qualities of scantily-clad nubile young things and, y'know, comedy. A sac bunt, yet another weak infield dribbler and a broken-bat gork later, and the Tigers had plated 2 to win the game. Papelbon didn't allow solid contact once in 18 pitches, and still blew his first save of the season. Gracias, Julio, a Nation turns its psychotic obsession with a team to you.

Baseball, man, it's a funny game. A funny game I'm glad I didn't watch yesterday.

No comments: