Monday, July 07, 2003

Games 84 through 86 - Mets

Mets 7, Reds 2
Mets 6, Reds 2
Mets 7, Reds 5
Record: 39-47

What the . . . huh? A three-game sweep on the road? Tom Glavine pitching like the Braves' Tom Glavine? Timo Perez with a leadoff homer? Jaime Cerda with a win? Late-inning rallies? Shutting the door in the 9th? Tony Clark with more key hits and home runs? (Well, we should have expected that last one.) I don't really understand it, but I know what I like. Burnitz and Floyd carried this team offensively, but everyone contributed. Even Roger Cedeno . . .by being on the bench. Meanwhile, the Met Most Likely to Cause Me Internal Damage saved two of the three wins. How about that?

Jose Reyes continues to nurse his pulled hamstring, probably in a much different way than my wife is nursing our new daughter. But I don't know that much about sports medicine, so I could be wrong. This not only keeps us from seeing the exciting youngster, it means we are forced to watch Super Joe ".215" McEwing and Stupor Rey ".213" Sanchez. Jose, hurry back. All of the mile-high pop-ups are confusing the air traffic yo-yos over at LaGuardia.

No comments: