Thursday, July 10, 2003

Game 89 - Red Sox

Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 7
Record: 52-37 (Did Whitney intentionally leave off the Mets' record in his recent post, or was it a Freudian slip related to his misery?)

Hey, the pitching staff did their part in holding the opponent to less than 8 runs, and the offense did its job. Just like it was drawn up in the playbook.

I can't explain how, but I knew the Sox would win this game from the moment the Jays took a 7-3 lead in the 6th inning. I just knew it. I wasn't angry, I didn't shout at the TV, I didn't throw stuff around my living room. I flat-out knew that the Sox were going to come back. And then they did, helped immensely by a pair of Blue Jay fielding miscues and a timely double by David Ortiz.

The Bunger came up huge in the bottom of the 9th, striking out Vernon Wells, Carlos Delgado, and Eric Hinske after allowing a leadoff double to Frank Catalanotto and hitting Howie Clark with two outs. Cast iron cojones on the Korean. Bigtime win for the Sox, and a painful blow to the Jays.

With Kim in the pen, and newly acquired Todd Jones pitching well, it's almost time to say that the bullpen is in pretty good shape for the rest of the season. Add Casey Fossum to the mix - he's pitching rehab assignments right now - and the pen looks pretty tasty. Which means that the arm the Sox need to add is a starter. So, no more Armando Benitez dreams for me. Bring me the head of Kris Benson (and make sure his right arm is attached).

No comments: