Friday, July 04, 2003

Game 83 - Red Sox

Devil Rays 6, Red Sox 5 (10)
Record: 48-35

It looks like the Sox just lost 2 of 3 to the Devil Rays, but that's not possible, so there must be a typo in my paper this morning. And why, pray tell, am I not breaking things over it? Have you noticed that I can't get a fix on this team? Is it obvious that I'm ridiculously conflicted? Despite this bed-crapping, the Sox are still in the lead for the Wild Card, and try as they might, they can't shake me.

I'm tempted to say that the upcoming 4-game set against the Yankees is make or break, but I don't really believe it, especially because the pitching matchups make anything better than split unlikely. It's possible that this series and the 3 games in Toronto that follow will determine Grady Little's fate, but even if the Sox go, say 2-5, in the next 7, it's unlikely that they'll be more than 2.5 games behind the A's - still right in the thick of it. Psychologically, the next 7 may be big, but in terms of the big picture, I don't see it that way. Do I hope they run off a 7-game winning streak? Sure. Will I be planning a bridge jump if they don't? Unlikely, unless Pedro gets hurt.

They lost this game, once again, because of the bullpen. The chorus screaming for another arm is reaching a crescendo (and recent pickup Todd Jones is not the answer). Theo, can you heeeaaaar me?

No comments: