Wednesday, September 24, 2008

No, No, Nanette

Game 158 - Phillies

Braves 3, Phils 2
Record 89 wins, 69 losses - 1st place 1.5 games ahead of NYM.

I won't do it.

I am not going to do it.

No.

I will not dump on this team for wasting a good start by the their young ace.

The Phils are 15 and 7 in September.

They are 32 and 20 since August 1st.

They are 39 and 25 since the All-Star break.

Last night was a very winnable game and gee, it sure would have been nice to all but wrap up a playoff spot being 3.5 games up on Milwaukee with only 4 games to play - all at home (with the final 3 against the Nats.)

Still, as I took my post game(s) shower, I was trying to beat back the negativity that was slowly fouling my mood. I kept reminding myself that the odds are still very much in our favor and that despite the indecipherable Coolstandings explainer, it appears the Phils still have a 98.9% chance of making the playoffs according to the geniuses at ESPN.COM. I don't care why that is, I just pray that it is.

A win tonight would go a long way to making me breathe easier. Brett Myers takes the hill against JoJo "was a man who thought he was a loner" Reyes.

Please Brett, return to your post-Allentown efforts. The ones which reduced your ERA from 5.84 to 4.06 in 12 starts. Do not give us a repeat performance of your last start in Florida where you undid all that good work by surrendering 10 earned runs in 4 innings jacking your ERA back up to a mediocre 4.46!

To the stickmen: Patience. You are facing a 3 and 11 pitcher with a 5.74 ERA. That includes an 0 and 2 record, 7.56 ERA against you this season. Take your time and make him pitch. Tack up 6 before he exits in the 3rd and give Brett some help.

Now go out there and be careful!

No comments: