Thursday, June 07, 2007

Thomas Dolby

Game 58 - Red Sox

A's 3, Red Sox 2
Record: 37-21

Allow me for a moment to completely misuse a scientific/mathematical construct, if you will. Regression to the mean implies that over time, observed outlying results will correct themselves and that the results of any measured activity will conform to an expected value. Basically. I'm a History major - sue me.

My point, to the extent I have one, is that the last week has been an expected correction for the Sox. They probably aren't a .705 ballclub. Very few teams win 114 games. They may well be a .637 team, though, which is where they've landed after 6 losses in the last 7 outings. And as my esteemed colleague notes a few notches below, shit happens, even to good teams, in the course of a 162-game season.

If Schilling craps himself this afternoon, I reserve the right to abandon this measured, reasoned approach.

No comments: