Saturday, April 16, 2005

How the Other Half Lives

Game 10 - Red Sox

Red Sox 10, Tampa Bay Devil Rays 0
Record: 5-5

There was a consensus that the Sox would probably take a breather last night after playing 6 of the first 9 games against the Yankees. The same grizzled scribe postulated in this space that David Wells may be an old, fat, expensive mistake. The lesson, as always, is that I'm an idiot. And that David Ortiz is a big, strong man.

As of this morning, though, I'm an idiot with the MLB Extra Innings package. Last night's game is the last one that I'll not be able to catch from the comfort of my living room. I can't tell you how thrilled my wife is about this development. I'm trying to argue that it's better than me going out and chasing other women, but a) she knows that I'm too lazy to talk to other women, and b) that even if I weren't too lazy, no other woman in her right mind would give me the time of day. Yessir, my wife is one lucky lady. Good thing for her I'm rich. Er, funny.

Moving right along. I'm using my newfound satellite TV powers for good, taking in the Mets/Marlins matchup from Shea, with Pedro against Al Leiter. You think that Pedro might have reconsidered his offseason decision if he'd known that Mike Piazza would be "catching" him every 5th day? I've read Whit's descriptions of Piazza for some time now, but I just had no idea. Pedro's only given up 3 hits through 7 innings, but 2 of those guys came around to score as a direct result of Piazza's inability to a) block balls in the dirt and b) throw out runners. The DH was invented to keep guys like Piazza off the field. I bet Pedro dreams of Jason Varitek's soft hands when he closes his eyes at night.

Sox/Rays at 7:05 from Fenway, with Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo calling the action - not Rick Sutcliffe and Chris Berman. Better kiss the kids this afternoon, because I may not see much of them until October.

No comments: