Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Here Comes The Rain / I Love the Rain

After softball in Virginia was rained out, I took solace in the fact that I would get to enjoy an overstuffed slate of baseball games on the Extra Innings tube. Then the Mets and Red Sox were rained out, too, eliminating my two most-watched teams. So I got to watch the Reds knock off the Yanks in dramatic fashion and was forced to endure the annoying Braves top the Rangers in more dramatic fashion. But the solace I am taking from the Mets' wash-out is in the listed starters for tonight's game against the Brewers. The Brew Crew have decided just to go with last night's projected starter, Matt Kinney. New York, however, has skipped over Mike Bacsik in favor of tonight's regularly scheduled pitcher, Steve Trachsel. Based on pretty much any analysis, this is a pitching upgrade reminiscent of going from Rudy Stein to Amanda Whurlitzer for the '76 Bears. I'm not sure whether tonight's game will go off, either, and I'm not sure what the pitching match-up will be when they make up last night on July 28, but the elements may have just saved the Mets one game.

No comments: