Saturday, June 07, 2003

Game 59 - Red Sox

Milwaukee Brewers 9, Red Sox 3
Record: 33-26

I keep trying to muster up some righteous indignation about the Sox, as they stumble through this miserable stretch (2-7 in the last 9), but I just can't gather the anger. I think it's because everyone else of consequence in the American League is flailing about, too. As I type this, I'm watching the Yankees scuffle against the Cubs, as Clemens failed once more to get his 300th win. The Yankees simply aren't as good as they have been in recent years. The Sox could not possibly play any worse (well, to be sure, they couldn't pitch any worse - the offense is fine), and they're STILL only 1.5 games back of the Yankees and only 1 back of Oakland in the Wild Card standings. I'd like to see them play better, and I know that all the games count the same, but I just cannot bring myself to get more than marginally ticked off, because I know (think?) that this is a really good team. I'm mostly concerned about the fact that they're only 6 games north of the Mets, frankly.

Here's the Sox schedule from now through the end of July: 2 at Milwaukee, 3 against St. Louis, 3 against Houston, 4 at the White Sox, 3 at Philly, 4 against Detroit, 3 against Florida, 3 at Tampa Bay, 4 at New York, 3 at Toronto, 3 at Detroit, 4 against Toronto, 2 against Detroit, 2 against Tampa Bay, 3 against New York, 3 at Texas. 49 games, 20 against league's most mediocre teams, and 14 against the top division opponents. Better make hay, because August is a rough slog against Oakland, Seattle, Anaheim, Toronto, and the Yankees, with the Orioles thrown in for balance.

No comments: