Monday, May 14, 2007

TV on the Radio

Game 36 - Red Sox

Red Sox 6, Orioles 5
Record: 25-11

I've got a mere 10 minutes here this morning, as I'm off to do my part for charity by chasing a golf ball around an exurban grassy field complex. I promise I'll round out this post this evening, because this game was...well, it was something.

My mastery of the Tivo and channel guide led me to believe that the game was not being televised in my neck of the woods, which served me quite well for nearly 96% of the game. As the Sox bats whimpered softly and the skin on Josh Beckett's finger tore apart, I was quite satisfied to catch fleeting updates on MLB Gamecast in between lawn-mowing, child-chasing, and Mother's Day-related wife-pampering.

Then, at about 5:30, I came into the house to start working on dinner (a delicious compendium of garlic-grilled shrimp and tomato, mozzarella, and basil salad, in case you were wondering), I checked the computer one more time just to see how bad the Sox had been drummed. When I saw that they'd posted 6 in the bottom of the 9th to win the game and the series, my apathy regarding the broadcast situation turned quickly to fury. And I sent a text to Whitney to express said rage.

That anger turned into chagrin when my colleague informed me that the game had actually been televised on a secondary local channel and I whiffed on the whole thing. Later today, you'll get...the rest of the story.

----------------

As it turns out, no, you won't. I'm sunburned, tired, a little bit tipsy, and in the middle of watching tonight's game (highlight thus far: the Japanese headbands worn by Remy and Orsillo), so it's all I can do to handle that simple chore.

No comments: