Saturday, May 19, 2007

Lush

Game 41 - Mets

Mets 3, Yankees 2
Record: 27-14

The game so nice, I enjoyed it twice. Got home very late after a "wine club" gathering we were invited to -- oddly, one where I drank beer all night. Sam Adams Summer Ale, to be precise, and it just kept flowing from the portable neighborhood kegerator. (Not our neighborhood -- we need to call a meeting on our block pronto.)

I capped off a fun night by reclining on the couch and watching the TiVoed Mets-Yanks contest. I'm quite certain I enjoyed it immensely; I can't say for sure, because when I awoke this morning, I couldn't even remember who'd won. Technology saves the day again, as I simply turned on the tube and cruised through it once more. (The Mets won again.) I felt like H.M.; were I he, I'd save this game permanently and watch it every day, rejoicing anew each time. As it is, I have to scrap it to make room for each new contest.

Endy Chavez continues to embed himself further and further into the hearts of Mets Township in new and exciting ways. His unlikely two-run blast off Andy Pettitte was out of nowhere, perhaps enabled by a high fastball intended to thwart an assumed bunt attempt. Unbelievable. That you can buy a Kaz Matsui Mets jersey and a Lastings Milledge Mets jersey in the official store but are relegated to making your own Chavez #10 shirt is just silly. As is this quick glance at his past, thanks to baseball-reference.com:
Transactions

April 29, 1996: Signed by the New York Mets as an amateur free agent.
December 11, 2000: Drafted by the Kansas City Royals from the New York Mets in the 2000 rule 5 draft.
March 30, 2001: Returned (earlier draft pick) by the Kansas City Royals to the New York Mets.
March 30, 2001: Traded by the New York Mets to the Kansas City Royals for Michael Curry (minors).
December 20, 2001: Selected off waivers by the Detroit Tigers from the Kansas City Royals.
February 1, 2002: Selected off waivers by the New York Mets from the Detroit Tigers.
February 22, 2002: Selected off waivers by the Montreal Expos from the New York Mets.
May 14, 2005: Traded by the Washington Nationals to the Philadelphia Phillies for Marlon Byrd.
December 21, 2005: Granted Free Agency.
December 22, 2005: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets.
Who knew? Only Omar, I guess. We can only hope Endy will continue to perform with even a fraction of the heroics he's graced us with thus far.

As Rob mentioned, the Nation & Township have issued requests for mutual back-scratching this weekend. The Mets initiated the symbiosis last night, and at this writing, the Sox seem to be responding in kind. See how nicely it can all play out if we work together?

Going out again tonight, could be another late one. Here's hoping by tomorrow morning I've seen four Mets wins this weekend.

No comments: