Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Game 32 - Red Sox

Red Sox 9, Blue Jays 3
Record: 22-10


Nitty gritty dirt being the kind that I got in my mouth diving in vain for a groundball last night, as the forlorn Hot Action squad fell to 0-8. I'd resolved to discard my normal superstitions this week in an effort to turn things around for the Action, eschewing the years-old Nike shorts and faded Red Sox hat that I normally sport for new shorts and a Blue Jays lid that I own because I lost a bet to Whitney years ago. I ultimately decided not to take that drastic step yesterday because the Sox were in Toronto, and I didn't want to be the butterfly wings that flapped and caused a shift in the Sox' fortunes. So they can thank me anytime they want. I'll be wearing the Jays cap and new shorts next week, 'cause the Action need me.

Didn't see any of the game, but sure do like the reports coming from across the Nation regarding Matsuzaka's outing. Against a Toronto squad that caused him trouble previously, and coming off two very mediocre efforts, Daisuke twirled 7 innings of 5-hit, 1-run, 8-k ball. The three walks remain a concern, but there's a noticeable sigh of relief emanating from New England.

Sox batters hit 4 homers and scored 9 runs for the second consecutive day, ensuring that Tim Wakefield, the World's Unluckiest Pitcher, will get nothing and like it tonight as he squares off against Roy Halladay. Me, I'll be rinsing my mouth vigorously to get all this sand out of my teeth.

No comments: