Sunday, May 25, 2003

Games 47 Through 50 - Mets

Mets 6, Phillies 3
Mets 6, Atlanta Braves 5
Braves 10, Mets 4
Braves 3, Mets 1
Record: 22-28

Another out of town weekend and an increasingly annoying trend. I was unable to witness any of Thursday night's win over the Phils (to win that series, surprisingly); nor could I catch any of Friday night's squeaker over the friggin' Braves. (Squaring off against them has returned that sour taste to my mouth, the one that develops with any exposure to that franchise and one that will prompt me to use epithetical prefaces when referring to said franchise in this space. In hopes of reducing the dull nature of such an exercise, I will attempt to vary the descriptors as much as possible.) Anyway, I couldn't see the wins on Thursday and Friday, but when I could tune in on Saturday and Sunday, the Metropolitans rolled over and died. Saturday Glavine got blistered in every sense of the word, and on Sunday David Weathers gave up a two-run tater to Marcus Giles in the bottom of the eighth. And so, after taking the Phillies two cases to one in the first series of this critical stretch (which we can call either the Big 12, the Dirty Dozen, or 12 Angry Mets Games), the Mets petered out against the stinkin' Braves.

Halfway through The Fortnight Till Goodnight, the boys are 3-3. They certainly need to perform at least this well for the second half to keep dwindling hopes from being full extinguished. Come on, guys, let the dreamers dream. Rip off a series or two here and let's get within 10 games of first place. . . Did I just type 10 games?! I can't believe this is what it's come to already. Freakin' Braves.

No comments: