Saturday, May 31, 2003

Game 53 - Red Sox

Blue Jays 13, Red Sox 2
Record: 31-22

First three-game losing skid of the season. Guess I shouldn't have been so rosy in that 50-game checkup, eh? This one was a pretty crappy effort all the way around, led by John Burkett's abysmal 2 inning, 8 ER start. I'm hoping that the acquisition of B-H Kim signals the end of the Burkett Era in Boston, at least in the rotation. And even if Kim eventually shifts to the bullpen for the stretch run, I'd rather see Ryan Rupe or Bruce Chen get the nod at the back of the rotation than the aging-before-our-eyes Burkett. I dislike Burkett for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that he sucks. But he also was a jackass last season during the strike talk, and he's slow torture to watch, nibbling to every batter, working at a brutal pace, and allowing baserunners in every inning.

Whitney will be pleased to know that I'm days away from pulling the trigger on DirecTV, a move that was finally catalyzed by my digital cable cutting out during the Sox' scintillating comeback against the Yankees on Wednesday. My wife doesn't know it yet, but we're getting the Extra Innings package. I'm gonna feed this addiction, baby.

No comments: