Monday, April 07, 2003

Provoked Off-Day Rant

I see my friend has referenced Tony Clark in his latest post. Tony Clark, who was an All-Star firstbaseman for the Detroit Tigers before being released prior to the 2002 season. Tony Clark, who was picked up by the Red Sox shortly thereafter and gave me (and many others) great hope for some serious offense out of the 5th spot in the batting order. Tony Clark, who averaged 28 homeruns and 93 RBI in his five previous full seasons in the majors. Tony Clark, in whom I was so confident that I bet my friend Mr. Lester that the big first-sacker would blast 30 homers and drive in 100 runs in 2002. Tony Clark, who left Boston with his tail between his legs after hitting .207 with 3 HOMERUNS AND 29 FREAKING RUNS BATTED IN in 90 games, and - more than any single offensive player - signified the tepid, indifferent, distracted nature of the 2002 Boston Red Sox. Enjoy TC, my friend, may he bring you as many bright moments as he brought me last year. In other words, take a picture, because you won't see yesterday repeated very often.

No comments: