Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Opening Day - Red Sox

Tampa Bay Devil Rays 6, Red Sox 4

Well, that didn't take long. The sound you hear is me trying to extricate my testicles from my stomach after the Sox' season-opening groin-kick. Pedro pitches brilliantly for seven innings, the Sox take a 4-1 lead into the 9th inning against the worst team in baseball, and Alan Embree and Chad Fox proceed to give up homeruns to Terry Shumpert and Carl Crawford to lose, 6-4. The Boston mediots will dust off their pre-written templates decrying the closer by committee idea, full of I-told-you-sos and "Gee, the real games are tough, huh Theo" bitterness.

I walked around my house muttering, "I can't fucking believe they lost that game", as my wife ignored me. What is it in the DNA of every Red Sox fan that causes this soul-draining reaction? Truly, I was miserable all night last night. Intellectually, I know that there are 161 games left, and that one loss is not terribly relevant, but I can't help feeling that I've been down this road before. Dammit.

No comments: