Friday, April 11, 2003

Game 10 - Red Sox

Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 7
Record: 6-4

I have a question for my compadre in this effort: which emotion is stronger for you, elation after a Mets win or depression after a loss? For me, the most prominent feeling I have after a win is relief, while losses just kill me. What does that say about me, or sports fans in general? Do we follow sports for the range of emotions they evoke, a range that lets us test the boundaries of our own emotions without really getting hurt? Living and dying through our sports loyalties is a pale echo of the real pain and suffering in the world, but it all seems very real and important while we're participating in it. I know this to be true: my heartrate gets elevated, my senses heightened when I'm really into an athletic competition, even as a spectator. I don't have many other pursuits that bring the same sense of being in the moment.

Sox took an 8-4 lead into the 9th last night on the strength of 2 Johnny Damon taters and a big day from Trot Nixon, only to watch Mike Timlin lead us to the brink of disaster before recording the final out. After 10 games, all on the road, the Sox have a winning record, and lead the league in runs scored, as well as cardiac moments. Opening Day at the Fens is this afternoon - actually, in about 12 minutes - as Pedro looks for some run support after two terrific outings have been wasted.

No comments: