Monday, April 28, 2003

Games 21 through 25 - Mets

Mets 4, Astros 2
Mets 7, Astros 4
Mets 4, Arizona Diamondbacks 3
Diamondbacks 6, Mets 1
Diamondbacks 7, Mets 3
Record: 11-14

For the first time this season, I went a few games without closely following the results of my beloved Mets. New Orleans will do that to you. And just when I thought I might be a jinx after they'd rattled off a few wins without me, they had a Sunday afternoon like yesterday's. Yikes. A doubleheader swept by the D-backs during which the Mets scored just 4 runs but committed 8 errors while striking out 27 times.

Although I am overdue for comment, I will leave it at that. The Crescent City does nothing to spark thoughts of baseball (some might argue it dulls thoughts of all kinds). The AAA Zephyrs are baseball down there. I caught snippets of the NBA & NHL playoffs plus the NFL draft on televisions perched over various bars, but the only baseball I saw was a half-inning of the Red Sox' 16-5 drubbing, which Mr. Russell is only too happy to have me bring up again. And the sad bottom line is that when your team is stuck in last place and embarrassing themselves on a semi-regular basis, a brief respite from the day-to-day angst is a vacation indeed. Now I'm back to following the ups, downs, and way-downs of this ballclub. And speaking of up, I will try to look for positives throughout this potentially miserable season. Here is today's: no other 5th place team has as many wins as the Mets right now. [Yippee.]

No comments: