Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Insane in the Membrane

Games 121 through 124 - Phillies

Dodgers 3, Phillies 1
Phillies 2, Padres 1
Padres 8, Phillies 3
Phillies 1, Padres 0
Record 66 wins, 58 losses, 2nd place 1.5 games behind NYM (Same record through 124 games as last season but 3.5 games closer to the Mets this time around.)

I am going nucking futs!
Look at those anemic scores! It's maddening following this club. I say 'following' because I have not done a whole lotta watchin' lately. I don't have the time (not that I would be watching if I did have time.) I think I am reaching a point where I love this club but I don't like it at all. It's kind of like a marriage of convenience at this point. We both know we can't go anywhere else. They continue to suck from the teat of medicrity 8 years running while I am checking the college football blogs about 36 times a day. Last year of course, they did something completely unexpected - akin to bringing me a cold beer, propping my feet up and handing me the remote - they actually chased down the division leader and surpassed them. It's not a scenario I feel confident in envisioning this September.
I know 'twasn't all that long ago where I broke down the remaining 54 games and guessed that the Phils would have a good chance at 89 - 91 wins. Now, I'm not so sure. The club is 7 and 9 since that posting on August 1. The series in LA last week could be their undoing. Getting swept those 4 games is Exhibit A for the case of why I am suddenly pessimistic. The Mets meantime, seem to have rebounded from the doldrums yet again despite their multitude of problems. Seems frontrunner status suits neither club too well. Anyway, for the Phils to claim the 89 to 91 wins necessary for the division means they have to play at .605 to .657 ball. You'll agree that for a club with erratic run production, a batting lineup only 6 deep, a bullpen running on fumes and a rotation that can't synchronize their efforts, to play that well against a schedule that features 23 games against the Mets (5), Marlins (6), Cubs (4), Dodgers (4) and Brewers (4) - well it's about as easy to read those tea leaves as it is this run on sentence.
I think the best we can hope for is to come close to break even against that schedule and show absolutely no mercy against the likes of the Nats (9 games) and Braves (6.) Oh, I suppose its only fair to mention the Phils are currently 16 -5 against these losers. It's within the realm of possibility but as pursuers rather than front runners, success ultimately, is not in their hands.
Time to wake up the echoes of 2007. Here's hoping the Daily News and Post start hounding the Mets about it.



2 comments:

rob said...

i love the derangement this point in the season so often brings.

Nick said...

Did I mention I hate baseball?