Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Can't Explain

Game 125 - Phillies

Phillies 5, Nats 4
Record 67 wins, 58 losses - 2nd place, 1.5 GB NYM
Some things cannot be sufficiently explained to satisfy one's curiosity. For example:


I am not sure if you can read the sign. It states:

PHilliEs FAN
45 yEARS
J Roll FAN
NO LONGER
TRADE HIM

I don't even know where to begin. For those of you not familiar with the species Philadelphius Fanicus, they are so unique they warrant their own kingdom. They bear no resemblance to any other life form. These wretched creatures have been known to cheer E-A-G-L-E-S at Phillies games in April. Imagine that for second. They cheer for a franchise so bereft of any measurable success these past 48 years as if that franchise were on par with its fellow league members in Dallas, New York and Washington. I cannot reason with such creatures.
Let me make this disclaimer. I love the Phils. To a fault perhaps. However, I am not a native of the city of Philadelphia nor its environs in SE PA or Joisy. I have never lived within 120 miles of Philadelphia. I am yinzer, a Western Pennsylvanian. We may be rubes. We may have a tinge of redneck and we certainly posess some peculiar culinary habits. However we are, scientifically speaking, a much more advanced creature than our cross state (and alter-universe) inhabitants of the Commonwealth.
God help them.

No comments: