Monday, July 21, 2008

The Prince of Tides

Games 98 through 100 – Red Sox

Angels 11, Red Sox 3
Angels 4, Red Sox 2
Angels 5, Red Sox 3
Record: 57-43


Balance. It’s a magical thing. And since I spent the better part of the last 4 days tuned to the rhythms of the Nags Head, NC surf, my friends’ laughter, and the gentle clink of ice in a highball glass filled with Jameson, it’s fair to say that it would take a lot more than a trio of shoddy performances by the Red Sox to ruin my mood.

Though they sure seem to be trying.

At present, this team does not appear to be a very good one. Its flaws are many and its standout performances on either side of the ball (if I may appropriate a football cliché) are few (Dustin Pedroia and Tim Wakefield – you’re both excused). Fortunately for me, I’ve only got to make it through 4 more workdays before I get to repeat the whole restorative process for a week on Cape Cod.

If I show up here on August 4 with a similar rasher of rationalization, the final 2 months of the season may not be pretty.

No comments: