Friday, May 26, 2006

Play That Funky Music

Game 45 - Red Sox

Red Sox 4, Devil Rays 1
Record: 27-18


Good thing this music project is in full swing, because last night's game was probably the most frustrating victory I've seen since we've started this blog. The Sox left 329 men on base, taking 13 hits to score 4 runs - what should have been a laugher got not so funny after Jonathan Papelbon had to close the door on a Rays rally in the 8th.

But the musical meandering is underway, which helps take my mind off the suddenly anti-clutch hitting. Without further delay, the pitching staff:

Curt Schilling – I figure Schill would want something red, white, and blue, something pure rock and roll, something in keeping with his self-image as a warrior and a team leader. Springsteen’s No Surrender fits the bill, though Born in the USA or Glory Days would work great musically if not for the irony in the lyrics. Not many ballplayers would get that, but Schilling probably would.

Josh Beckett – rollicking rockabilly for the Sox’ new gunslinger, and one of my favorite songs: Old 97’s, King of All of the World is perfect for Beckett.

Matt Clement – Okay, I’m making an editorial statement here, one that’s not likely to help Clement get fired up, but his recent performances make Radiohead’s Creep the disappointing choice. “What the hell am I doing here/I don’t belong here”. Indeed.

Tim Wakefield – Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov’s Flight of the Bumblebee is a classical choice for the classiest of the Sox’ hurlers, on and off the field. That it describes his pitching style is a bonus.

David Wells – The pudgy no. 5 starter takes the mound tonight after a lengthy rehab. I fairly certain that he ingested his fair share of these while he was “working out”, making Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffett ruefully apropos.

Lenny Dinardo – Though he was never supposed to pitch as many high-leverage innings as he’s had to in the season’s first 50 games, Dinardo was game but overmatched. Which leads us to his theme song, Your Love by the Outfield, from the album Play Deep. Insert your wry smile here.

Rudy Seanez – I think Seanez is Mexican-American, but even if he’s not, Los Lobos’ Come on, Let’s Go is a pretty damn catchy song.

Julian Tavarez – Patsy Cline and Dave Matthews were bidding for this role, but Ozzy Osbourne bit both of their heads clean off. I think Crazy Train for Tavarez is the best match of player and music I’ve yet made.

David Riske – I don’t know a damn thing about Riske, and I don’t think I’ve seen him pitch yet, so I’m making a completely random choice, just because I love the song, and going with the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Righteous and the Wicked.

Mike Timlin – the hard-throwing righty from Texas deserves some home cooking. George Strait’s The Fireman is not only a terrific tune, it describes Timlin’s sterling efforts since he’s been with the Sox.

Keith Foulke – Pearl Jam’s Jeremy works here, as Foulke was recently voted Most Likely Spree Killer by his teammates and the media.

Jonathan Papelbon – I really struggled with this one, as a number of great choices came to mind. Welcome to the Jungle, Hell’s Bells, Are You Experienced, Thriller (only for the Vincent Price spoken-word part) were all worth consideration. I landed on an obscure but classic selection, with Paps entering games to Zodiac Mindwarp’s Prime Mover – perfect combination of tempo and theme for the AL’s most dominant closer during the first 3rd of the season and maybe the single biggest reason for the Sox’ overall success to date.

This is fun - I may yet do the coaching staff.

No comments: