Friday, May 26, 2006

If Music Could Talk

Games 45 & 46 – Mets

Mets 5, Phillies 4
Phillies 5, Mets 3
Record: 28-18


There is much to discuss in Metville right about now: the emergence of Olay Soler, the arrival of El Duque, the acquisition of Dave Williams, the fadeout of Jeremi Gonzalez, the power surge of Jose Reyes, the resumption of the hero’s role for David Wright, etc. There are 15 good (and by good, I mean verbose and self-indulgent) paragraphs of material today.

And so, without further delay, I will jump right into the fun game Rob started. At the very least, it won’t be a rehash of what’s been better articulated elsewhere in the blogosphere . . .

Jose Reyes – Looking for something with some speed and a little power behind it, and a great leadoff track, I was tempted to go with Pearl Jam’s “Go,” envisioning batteries around the league harmonizing “Don’t go on me.” But since I spent my Eddie Vedder quotient on the 25-game check-up, I’ll go with another fast-paced album opener with a little muscle, as well as some ties in geography and content. Give me “Rhymin’ & Stealin’,” courtesy of the Beasties.

Paul LoDuca – The Brooklynite gets an oldie from neighbors John & John, They Might Be Giants. “We’re the Replacements” references the amazing job he’s done to make everyone forget (not forever, but for now) the beloved Mike Piazza.

Carlos Beltran – He’s beginning to tear the cover off it lately, and there are crossed fingers throughout the Township that he continues to ascend that long road toward the unreasonably high expectations. At the same time, even as he smashes big dingers, we’re still worried he’s a little too sensitive for this town. Cue R.E.M., “Crush with Eyeliner.”

Carlos Delgado“Spanish Bombs.” Enough said, amigos.

David Wright – Dee-Dub gets his own album; yeah, he’s that special. I’ll throw one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands to one of my favorite players. Old 97’s Too Far to Care describes the tape-measure “Timebomb” he hit the other night. Meanwhile, Wright has traveled from the “Streets of Where I’m From” to “Broadway,” and there have got to be a limitless number of “Curtain Calls” in his bright future. As for a particular song to play while he strides to the plate, I’ll take “Four Leaf Clover” – it’s ominous-sounding, and it’s what the kid has meant to the Mets so far in his young career.

Cliff Floyd – Well, depending on whom you ask, his song should either be “Fade Away” (by either Springsteen or the BoDeans) or “Not Fade Away” (by Buddy Holly and hundereds of others). Come on Cliff, tell us how it’s gonna be.

Xavier Nady – While it’s most fun to tweak certain song lyrics towards his surname (“Three Times a Nady,” “Dude Looks Like a Nady,” “Voodoo Nady,” “Play Nady Play,”), when I think about his actual contributions, I’d say that so far he continues to, like fellow outfielder Joe Jackson, “Look Sharp!”

Kaz Matsui – I had to overlook “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down” by Elvis Costello and Jim Croce’s “New York’s Not My Home” because nothing – nothing – tops Alphaville’s “Big In Japan.” I honestly believe he could win a few of those boo-birds over if he actually went to bat to this song for comedic effect.

Julio Franco – There’s a one-track commentary on Franco – his age. “Born in the 50’s” and “Time in a Bottle” might fit, but the way he’s treated his body to stay as young as he has is worthy of R.E.M.’s “Life and How to Live It.”

Chris Woodward – His defensive lapses this year have grown in number and severity. He can “Catch the Wind” (Drivin’ ‘N’ Cryin’) and that’s about it -- it's usually what he comes up with a glove full of these days.

Ramon Castro – I wanted to throw some Ramons (sic) at the back-up backstop, maybe “I Just Wanna Have Something to Do." On second thought, I’ll go with another NYC troupe's “Slow and Low” for the burly catcher.

Jose Valentin – Give us Spoon’s “The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentin” and its reference to the one guy who hit brilliantly for a series or two and another guy who’s flailed away all season. Without that brief spell of competence, we’d have to suggest “I Missed Again” by Phil Collins.

The pitchers’ tunes will follow Rob’s. Happy listening, sports fans.

No comments: