Thursday, July 15, 2004

Games 82 through 87 - Mets
Great Moments in Moral Victory History

Mets 4, Phillies 1
Mets 10, Phillies 1
Phillies 5, Mets 4
Mets 6, Marlins 3
Marlins 5, Mets 2
Marlins 5, Mets 2
Record at the break: 44-43


Finishing above .500 at the All-Star break: priceless. Yes, that ad and the umpteen thousand bad Internet jokes it spawned have a great deal in common with Secretariat, but I have very little thgat is new and insightful to inject in this space today. Let me do my best Rob Russell and blame my job for my silence. When you go away for 5 days, your desk should not become the john, i.e., people dumping crap jobs on you. People don't seem to understand that I have something to say about the New York Mets and the bliss they made my last few weeks simply by not being rancid.

Yeah, the Mets stumbled at the finish line, but they tumbled into the land of positive percentages, and that's all that concerned me at that point. A tiny milestone over which little national attention is being paid, but I'm happy. On to the Check-up . . .

No comments: