Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Game 119 - Red Sox

A's 5, Red Sox 3
Record: 68-51

I'm struggling to choose one of the following bastardized quotes from prominent NFL coaches to describe how I feel:

A) "I'm pushing my chips to the middle of the table. I guarantee this Red Sox team will make the playoffs."

-or-

B) "Playoffs!!?!?!! Playoffs?!?!?!? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?!?!?!?"

And I'm really leaning towards the second. The Sox squad that showed cast-iron balls and bats to match over the season's first 100 games or so has flat out not shown up over the past three weeks. The first two games of this series against the A's were real tone-setters, and the Sox laid a flat, listless symphony on Oakland, while the A's were tight and harmonious. (Man, that's a tortured analogy.)

I can honestly say that I haven't been more down about the Sox' chances at any point in the season than I am at this moment. They just seem to have run out of gas in - shocker - August. I really thought this team would be different than those of the past two seasons, but they've gone cold as the weather gets hot, just like their predecessors. There's time to snap out of it, but not a lot. C'mon, boys, make me Jim Fassel and not Jim Mora, dammit.

No comments: