Saturday, August 19, 2006

F.U.

Game 122 - Red Sox

Yankees 13, Red Sox 5
Record: 69-53

I've never been happier to have to go to a 5 year-old's birthday party in my life. My wife dragged me from my house just as Manny Delcarmen gave up the Sox' 10th walk and let the Yankees' 7th run jog to the plate. Mercifully, I didn't have to watch the rest of the carnage.

I was 8 years old during the original version of the Boston Massacre in 1978, so I really appreciate the 2006 Sox providing a bit of a historical primer for those of us not quite old enough to really recall the bitter feeling of getting absolutely smoked by the Yankees in a critical home series.

On the other hand, I was 34 years old the only time I've ever felt worse about a Sox performance against the Yankees - right after Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS. I think we recall how that turned out, even the pinstriped in our midst. Man, that's a really wispy limb out on which to climb, but beggars can't be choosers, and the Sox have made sure that the Nation is populated by panhandlers at the moment.

Almost makes me wish we had to attend another little kid's birthday party tomorrow.

No comments: