Thursday, September 18, 2003

Game 151 - Red Sox. Deep Breaths. Deep Breaths.

Devil Rays 7, Red Sox 0
Record: 88-63
AL East: 5.5 GB NYY
Wild Card: 1st - 1.5 up on Sea

The Sox laid a big heaping, steaming rotten egg last night against the Rays - there's really no two ways about it. Poor pitching, poor situational hitting, and a real lack of urgency led to a costly stinker of a performance. In other years, this game would have sent me off into a psychotic bender of doubt and dismay. Now, though, thanks to the magic of Positive Thinking (TM), I've only got a tiny, pea-sized mass of impending doom gnawing at my lower intenstine. And that may only be due to the massive hurricane that's clawing its way up the coast towards my house.

The fact remains that the Sox have made a pretty terrific run since the beginning of the Era of Positivity, winning 10 of 15 to make up 2.5 games in the Wild Card race. Sweeping the Rays was a statistical improbability, so as long as they take today's game, they've done their job. (I reserve the right to jump up and down like an angry 3 year-old if they lose today.) I will cling to the power of the positive thought, and carry this banner into the postseason.

I won't however, carry Grady's banner much longer if he continues to run Andy Abad out at first base. We'll talk about that later.

Lotta ball left. Stay on target.

No comments: