Friday, June 12, 2009

Sweet Caroline

Game 60 - Red Sox

Red Sox 4, Yankees 3
Record: 36-24

On the one hand, the logical, measured hand, the Sox have 102 games to play and are up only 2 games on a talented Yankee squad. And Teejay got a silver lining last night, belatedly realizing that he gets the MLB Network.

On the other hand, suck on 8 in a row, Yankees!

I was perfectly prepared to let this one go after the Yanks scored 3 off Manny Delcarmen in the top of the 7th to ruin Brad Penny's 6-inning shutout effort. Even when Hideki Okajima danced out of trouble in the 8th, I didn't get my hopes up. I mean, how many times in a row can a team beat its evenly-matched arch-rival (the answer, in case you were wondering, is at least 8). Frankly, after Nick Green managed to reach against a tiring C.C. Sabathia to open the bottom of the 8th, I still found reasons to argue that the Sox' luck had run out.

But then Dustin Pedroia worked the tiring C.C. like a one-armed paperhanger, fouling off a brace of offerings and working a walk. And I began to get my hopes up. Yanks manager Joe Girardi tried to get one more batter out of Sabathia and J.D. Drew punished him for his insolence, ripping a single to score Green. Cue the soft underbelly of the Yanks' bullpen and my cast-iron belief that the Sox were going ahead. A soft single by Kevin Youkilis, a harder single by Jason Bay and a sacrifice fly from Mike Lowell later and the good guys led, 4-3.

Jonathan Papelbon quickly hushed the whispers of those who've been questioning his efficiency (cough, ahem) by setting down the Yanks 2-4 hitters with nary a stern objection. And all of Manhattan got real quiet.

I could get used to this. I won't, but I could.

4 comments:

rob said...

sooo, nick.

Jerry said...

Did that really just happen?

Whitney said...

We need Jack Buck: "I don't believe what I just saw." Except not in a cool way but in a rabid chipmunk in your jockeys kind of way.

teracheapgold said...

Want to sell your WOW Gold and runescape stock to us? You are making the right choice. If you have much free WOW gold while you aslo need RUNESCAPE GOLD or Maplestory mesos/ NX, so you can Sell WOW Gold to us , because we have and also need much more cheap wow gold,RUNESCAPE GOLD or Maplestory mesos/ NX at the same time, so we can exchange with each other.