Thursday, May 12, 2005

Musical Interlude

Game 35 - Mets

Cubs 4, Mets 3
Record: 18-17

I guess the Mets lost. Good thing I was listening to some tunes as the game was on, so this is all I heard from the loss . . .

Victor Diaz comes up in the second with the bases loaded as Simple Minds plays:
Don't you forget about me
I'll be up there, hitting, you know it, baby
Going to fight for my right
To play out in right night after night, baby

The other, less victorious Victor retakes the mound with a two-run lead as Dr. John takes the airwaves with his take on the Wilpon gang:
Well I thought it was the right Zambrano
But it must have been the wrong guy
He's from the right place
But I must have used the wrong guide
And I thought it was the right Matsui
But it surely is the wrong guy
He's also from the right place
But we both have a bad eye
Swinging missing booing hissing from every who I sign
Gotta start getting first names on that dotted line
Walking walking walking walking, fans shout obscenities
Gotta save face from this mistaken identity

Mark Prior settles down and starts making the Mets look foolish, starting with Jose Reyes. Cue the Dire Straits:
And Jose doesn't mind if he doesn't reach the base
He's got a daytime job he's doing alright
He can run the bases just like anything
But he's saving it up for another night
He's the Sultan, yeah, the Sultan of Swing

Here comes Carlos Beltran. We need him now, but as Velvet Underground plays:
I'm waiting for my man
When he pitches, that's when I can
Hit one out, and earn all my pay
But Pedro's sittin' on the bench today
With a swing of the bat, I can amaze
But you'll just have to wait a few days
I'm waiting for my man

How about Cliff Floyd? They Might Be Giants observe:
I was hot for five straight weeks, but now I'm slightly colder
And now I'm even colder
And now I'm even colder
Sixty points in seven days, and dropping even colder
And now I'm colder still

How low has Mike Piazza sunk? Ask Steely Dan:
Two-Nineteen
No, you can’t flash the leather
No, you can’t hit at all
Please take the Mets along
When you slide on down

It comes down to Eric Valent in an unlikely chance to tie the game in the 9th. Just as The Clash's "Norfolk Calling" fades out, Charlie Daniels blares in:
But I couldn't believe it
I just had to find out for myself
And I couldn't conceive it
'Cause I never would have listened to nobody else
There's some things in this sport you just can't explain.

Tie game! On comes . . . Mike DeJean. The Smashing Pumpkins start in with "Bullpen with Butterfly Wings":
The world is an umpire . . .
Even though - I - blow, I suppose - I’ll - throw
I pitch straight - and - slow, there it gooooes
Despite all my rage I pitch like a batting cage
Despite all my rage I pitch like a batting cage
Then someone will say it's a loss and a blown save
Despite all my rage I pitch like a batting cage

Followed by Mister"y Why I'm Still Employed" Koo. Koo & the Gang's "Bungle Boogie" rolls on as the Mets fans chant at him:
Sit down, sit down
Sit down, sit down
[repeat until he finally gets yanked]

He does sit down -- after four straight balls to put the tying run 90 feet away. Heath Bell saves the inning, but after the Mets don't score, he's got to face Derrek Lee to open the tenth. It's oldies time, with the Bobbettes crooning:
One, two, three
Look at Mr. Lee
Three, four, five
He just hit a long drive
Five, six, seven
On pitch number eleven
Seven, eight, nine . . .
Uh, ballgame. Swell.

Uh oh. As the loss sinks in, Springsteen wails away:
Now I said I like this team
But it's clear I have no brain
And I feel like I'm a rider on a downbound train

And Lynyrd Skynyrd's "All I Can Do Is Write About It" closes out the day.
And Lord I can't make any changes
All I can do is write 'em in a blog
I can see 5th place slowly creepin'
Cold beer, take my mind before that comes

The soundtrack to this game is available through MLC Records, but you'll probably be more interested in the ones where the Mets win.

Remember, "if music be the food of the Mets . . . silence is golden."

No comments: