Sunday, September 19, 2004

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Someday, years ago, I might have had a more sigh-inducing cockpunch of a day as a sports fan, but I'm hard pressed to recall it. To wit:

1. The Sox are simply being outclassed in all phases of the game by a Yankee team that came to play. I'm pissed more than anything else, because I know the Sox are better than they're showing right now, but that and $4.35 gets me an overpriced cup of coffee. Really disheartening in the short run, even if the logical me still expects to see them in the post-season. This Pedro and this offense in October will lead to a very brief stay.

2. The Redskins just committed their 5th turnover - a Patrick Ramsey pick in the end zone - and trail the woeful Giants, 20-7, early in the 4th quarter. It's hard to believe that my 2 favorite professional franchises could play this badly on the same afternoon against heated rivals.

3. The U.S. is about to suffer an all-time bad loss in the Ryder Cup. I don't care that much about this one, but I'm still pulling for the home side.

4. I've got Denver in a last-man-standing pool, and they trail Jacksonville, 7-6, in the 4th, with the Jags driving. Might as well have wiped my ass with that sawbuck.

5. For good measure, John Kerry continues to be the most inept major party presidential candidate in my lifetime.

That squishy sound you hear is me repeatedly stabbing myself in the eye with a fork. Strangely cathartic.

No comments: