Friday, September 28, 2007

Van Halen

Game 159 - Red Sox

Twins 5, Red Sox 4
Record: 94-65

It was Back to School Night in my little hamlet, so I caught exactly none of this game. Thornton Mellon, however, continues to slay me.

Since I have very little to say about the Sox, I come here then to offer some small succor to my colleague, for whom I am fairly lousy company at the moment. Back on September 25, 2004, I wrote the following about a stumbling group of idiots:
I said some months ago that this team would squeeze into the playoffs
on sheer talent, despite their poor play for a the majority of the season, and
that their relief in making the postseason in the midst of massive expectations
would be the jet fuel that propelled them headlong into immortality. I believe
it more now than I did then. They burned brightly in winning 25 of 30 games to
get into position to make the playoffs, and are now in the middle of a slow,
fading arc until the end of the regular season. They'll fire the engines one
more time, slingshot around the slower traffic in front of them, and scream
headlong into history. Pretty decent amount of ball left. Stay on target.

Things turned out okay for those guys, as I recall. And I do, so very often.

Not sure if that helps much, my friend, but here's to the Mets staying on target.

1 comment:

T.J. said...

BOSTON -- Boston rookie Clay Buchholz won't pitch for the rest of the year and will miss the postseason because of shoulder fatigue.

The 23-year-old right-hander pitched a no-hitter against Baltimore on Sept. 1 in his second major league start, then was sent to the bullpen and made a relief appearance on Sept. 6. He had just one outing after that, starting and losing at Toronto on Sept. 19.

"It was disheartening at first, but I don't think anybody expected me to be up here," Buchholz said Friday. "I think I'd be more down about it if I started the year here and it came up now."