Thursday, July 21, 2005

Stop It, You're Embarrassing Yourself

Games 93 & 94 - Red Sox

Red Sox 5, Devil Rays 2
Red Sox 9, Devil Rays 4
Record: 52-42

Not much to say about the final 2 games in Fenway against the Rays: the Sox are supposed to beat the Rays, and the Sox beat the Rays. Blah, blah, blah.

No, I join you tonight in awe of the worst pair of announcers I've heard yet this season on Extra Innings. The White Sox network is covering the telecast from U.S. Cellular, and though we're only 1+ inning into the contest, I'm dumbstruck by the egregious homerism displayed by Hawk Harrelson and Darrin Jackson. Their synchronized "Stretch...Stretch...Put it on the Board...YES!" after Carl Everett's first-inning longball was possibly the low-water mark in my baseball viewing experience this season. These guys make Michael Kay sound like John Jay.

How I long for Jerry Remy's New England burr, or at least Fred Manfra's even-handed tones. More to come tomorrow, unless I hang myself after having to listen to this dreck for 3 hours.

--- Update ----

I solved the problem, at least for most of the game, by turning off the sound and cranking up the Dave Matthews Band's new effort, Stand Up. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone, as I hadn't heard the album yet. Mini-review after 1 listen: darker, edgier DMB with a handful of top-notch tunes and an overall very solid effort. I think it'll grow to become one of my favorite DMB records.

I did have to listen to Hawk and DJ from the 8th inning on, however, and am pleased to report that their grating reportage led to my extreme satisfaction when the Sox held on to win. I might hate the ChiSox more than the A's after last night.

No comments: