Wednesday, February 23, 2005

You'd Shut Your Mouth if You Knew What Was Good for You, You Pumpkin-Pie-Haircutted Freak(s)

My favorite movie line ever goes out to my favorite sports franchise this fine morning. There's an old football adage that admonishes players to "act like they've been there before" when they accomplish something of note, lest they tarnish their success. The Sox seem to be taking the opposite tack this spring, falling all over themselves to take potshots at Yankee thirdbaseman and erstwhile karate practitioner Alex Rodriguez.

The Sox' thrilling run to the title should buy them several seasons of national goodwill. The fact that they seem to be actively trying to assume the Yankees' mantle of arrogance and hubris doesn't sit well with this humble blogger, nor will it sit well with a national media and fanbase that's all too eager to point out that the Sox are a financial behemoth that trails only the Yankees in terms of resources. You're the goddamn World Champions, boys - now act like it.

So I caution the Sox, as Thumper's mom said so wisely, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Or, to put it in terms that my courser readers will enjoy, how 'bout you guys grab a steaming cup of shut the fuck up? And yes, I'm talking to you, Trot Nixon, Curt Schilling, and Kevin Millar.

Can't believe that the full squad is in camp this morning, and my first post of the the new season is this one. Please make me eat my words, you bunch of idiots.

No comments: